In many parts of the country, it is difficult to tell that the Fourth of July has come and gone. As loud explosions and bright lights continue to interrupt sleep, people who still have fireworks are ignoring the city and state laws that say no one should shoot off fireworks after the fourth day of July has passed. No surprise, many of the explosion fanatics are also not concerned with cleaning up. Breaking the law when they ignite their rockets and smaller firecrackers and breaking the law again by leaving litter in public parking lots, streets, and parks, there is much evidence left over of the good time that was had by many.
Parking lot sweeping services are especially busy after Independence Day celebrations, including fireworks shows and community wide parades. In an attempt to clean up all kinds of debris before a rainstorm washes them into the waterways, street and parking lot sweeping services are very busy.
Street Sweeper Trucks and Parking Lot Cleaners Make Our Communities Better Places
First impressions matter. Whether it is a first impression about how you look, the street appeal of your home, or the amount of litter in a city or in a business’s parking lot. Whether you are a business owner, a neighborhood association president, or a city official, it is important to understand the role that street sweeping services serve in our individual spaces, as well as the nation’s economy:
- C.S. Bishop invented and patented the first street sweeping machine back in the year 1849.
- Literally, any kind of truck can be used for street sweeping purposes. In fact, modern street sweepers are mounted on truck bodies, and have the ability to vacuum debri in both streets and parking lots.
- Effective street sweeping programs can remove several tons of debris a year from city streets, minimizing pollutants in stormwater runoff.
- A street sweeper, a service that is popular in urban areas with high traffic, cleans and maintains the street.
- No one wants to live on a messy street, so it should come as no surprise that the street sweeping machine manufacturing industry in the U.S. has generated an estimated $283 million of revenue.
- In addition to fireworks after the Fourth of July, street sweepers allow for the collection and removal of leaves, paper, and other visible debris that collects in curb gutters.
- National Water Quality Inventory reports recently indicated that runoff from urbanized areas is the leading source of water quality impairments to surveyed estuaries.
- Going through a business parking lot on a regular basis and picking up trash can help owners make a great first impression.
- Unless a street sweeper comes through and picks up debris, run off pollution from roads and highways, including heavy metals and pesticides, can enter water sources.
- Parking lots, sidewalks, and streets are safer for both pedestrians and drivers if surfaces are free of loose gravel and sand.
Everyone knows that when a party is over there is CLEANING UP that needs to be done. At a birthday party in your home it is important to throw away the trash, do the dishes, and vacuum the floor. After an entire nation celebrates its independence then it should come as no surprise that there is some major cleaning up that has to happen. Fortunately, many cities have an army of street and parking lot sweeping services to help tackle one of the biggest parties of the year.